NUS : Singapore Citizens/SPRs with International Qualifications admission 2017
Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Residents:
- With International Qualifications
- With academic qualifications in addition to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level and/or a Diploma from a Local Polytechnic in Singapore
- With University Degree(s)
Admission requirements and application deadlines
You should have completed or are completing high school education that is conducted over a period of at least twelve years. You may view the list of acceptable high school qualifications here.
Applicants are required to meet the Mother Tongue Language (MTL) requirement as set by the Ministry of Education, Singapore by having one of the following:
a) Minimum of D7 for the higher MTL paper taken at the Singapore Cambridge GCE ‘O’ Level examination
b) Minimum of ‘S’ grade for the H1 MTL paper or General Studies in Chinese taken at the Singapore Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level examination
c) Minimum of ‘S’ grade for the H2 MTLL paper taken at the Singapore Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level examination
d) Pass in the MTL ‘B’ Syllabus paper at the Singapore Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level examination
e) Pass in MTL-in-lieu subject approved by Ministry of Education, Singapore
f) Exemption from MTL approved by Ministry of Education, Singapore
Applicants who are unable to fulfill the MTL requirement for admission but satisfy all other admission requirements will be admitted on a provisional basis. During the course of study, these students will be required to attend the MTL course (Chinese/ Malay/ Tamil) conducted by the University; or attain the minimum requirement as listed above by retaking the MTL paper at the Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level examinations before they are allowed to graduate.
Submission of the official MTL examination results slip/ transcript/ exemption approval is required for the University to review your fulfilment of the MTL requirement. Please refer to the Application Checklist for more information.
Unless otherwise specified, your complete application with all supporting documents must reach the Office of Admissions by the application closing date.
Please choose the high school qualifications that you are presenting:
- ‘A’ Level (AQA, Cambridge, Edexcel, London, OCR, Oxford International AQA)
- American High School Diploma
- Australian High School
- Brunei ‘A’ Level
- Danish Studentereksamen (Upper Secondary Leaving Examination)
- European Baccalaureate Diploma
- French Baccalaureate Diploma
- Gao Kao or PRC National College Entrance Examination
- German Abitur
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE)/ Hong Kong ‘A’ Level
- Indian Standard 12 (Central and ISCE Boards)
- Indian Standard 12 (State and other Boards)
- Indonesian Ujian Nasional (UN)/Ebtanas
- Mauritius High School Certificate
- New Zealand National Certificate of Education Achievement Level 3
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) / Canadian Pre-U
- Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM)
- Swiss Matura/ Swiss Federal Maturity Certificate
- Turkish High School
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC)
- Vietnam National High School Graduation Examination
- Other High School Qualifications
* Applicants presenting accredited Diplomas obtained from a Polytechnic in Singapore should apply under Polytechnic Diplomas from Singapore in February 2017.
* Home study students may submit ACT with Writing or SAT, and SAT Subject Tests scores, or Advanced Placement score report to compete for undergraduate admissions. Students presenting the Foundation, Matriculation or Twinning qualifications with appropriate university exam results may also apply and compete for admission to NUS.
The University sets aside up to 15% of university places for consideration of exceptional candidates for admission. For such students who do not met the cut-off points for the course applied to, the University will consider other factors besides academic grades. These students may be admitted on other bases, including demonstrated ability and interest, work experience, leadership, community service and exceptional talent, subject to a minimum level of academic competence.
The following are some samples of exceptional achievements that may be taken into consideration:
- Medal winner at the International Olympiads (Biology, Chemistry, Informatics, Mathematics and Physics)
- Winner in the National Science & Talent Search
- Represented Singapore in Arts and/or Sports
- Active participation in community service and volunteer programmes
- Work experience relevant to the course applied for (supporting document/s is/are required)
- Key leadership positions in community organisations, sports and athletic clubs, etc (outside school)
In addition, applicants may provide additional information on awards/honours.
Applicants who wish to be considered under this scheme must provide details under the ‘Outstanding Achievements’ section of the online application form. If you have indicated information under ‘Activity 1’, ‘Activity 2 and/or ‘Activity 3’ of this section, you are strongly encouraged to provide an elaboration of these activities at the ‘Essay’ portion of this section too. In addition, you may wish to discuss a special talent, a personal experience or an activity that you have been involved in that is of relevance to the course you are applying for at the university.
Applicants who wished to be considered under the Outstanding Achievements scheme for Medicine should apply under the Exceptional Individual Scheme by 3rd week of March 2017.
Exceptional Individual Scheme
The Exceptional Individual Scheme (EIS) was developed as a way of exercising discretionary criteria in admitting a small number of students to the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. Applications submitted through this route will be evaluated by the Selection Committee on the basis of exceptional talent and achievement in addition to academic results. For details and online application, please click here.