National University of Singapore Admission requirement
You should have completed or are completing high school education that is conducted over a period of at least twelve years. You may view the list of acceptable high school qualifications here.
Applicants are required to meet the Mother Tongue Language (MTL) requirement as set by the Ministry of Education, Singapore by having one of the following:
a) Minimum of D7 for the higher MTL paper taken at the Singapore Cambridge GCE ‘O’ Level examination
b) Minimum of ‘S’ grade for the H1 MTL paper or General Studies in Chinese taken at the Singapore Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level examination
c) Minimum of ‘S’ grade for the H2 MTLL paper taken at the Singapore Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level examination
d) Pass in the MTL ‘B’ Syllabus paper at the Singapore Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level examination
e) Pass in MTL-in-lieu subject approved by Ministry of Education, Singapore
f) Exemption from MTL approved by Ministry of Education, Singapore
Applicants who are unable to fulfill the MTL requirement for admission but satisfy all other admission requirements will be admitted on a provisional basis. During the course of study, these students will be required to attend the MTL course (Chinese/ Malay/ Tamil) conducted by the University; or attain the minimum requirement as listed above by retaking the MTL paper at the Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level examinations before they are allowed to graduate.
Submission of the official MTL examination results slip/ transcript/ exemption approval is required for the University to review your fulfilment of the MTL requirement.
Application for Academic Year 2018-2019 will commence on 13 October 2017.
Application Process Flowchart
Please note the application closing dates for the various qualifications as follows:
|Qualification Type||AY2018 Application Closing Dates||AY2018 Documents Submission Deadline||Estimated Application Outcome by:||Appeal Window|
|Indonesian Ujian Nasional (UN)||25 December 2017, Monday||28 December 2017, Thursday||Mid-May||Information will be available from February 2018 onwards|
|Vietnam National High School Graduation ExaminationUnified Examination Certificate (UEC)||1 January 2018, Monday||4 January 2018, Thursday||Mid-May|
|All qualifications except:
||28 February 2018, Wednesday||3 March 2018, Saturday||Mid-May to end July|
|Indian Standard 12 (CBSE, ISC and Stateboards)||31 March 2018, Saturday||3 April 2018, Tuesday||Mid-July|
 International applicants presenting qualifications which meet the stipulations indicated below will be required to take the University Entrance Examinations (UEE).
The University will shortlist and invite students to take the UEE based on academic results submitted in their applications. For more information on UEE, please visit http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/international/exams/BYA-exam.html Applicants who receive their application outcome beyond the appeal window may submit an appeal email to https://www.askadmissions.nus.edu.sg/
You would be considered an international applicant if you are neither a Singapore Citizen nor Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) and not presenting the qualifications listed below:
- Singapore-Cambridge GCE A level
- Diploma from a Polytechnic in Singapore
- International Baccalaureate
- NUS High School Diploma
Admission requirements and closing dates
If you are an international applicant seeking admission to NUS, you should have completed or are completing high school, that is, at least twelve years of general education by July of the year of application. You may view the list of acceptable high school qualifications and applicant group types below.
Please ensure that you select the correct qualification and applicant group type before submitting an online application.
Applicant Group type to choose:
- If you have completed high school final examination, please select ‘I have completed the high school final examination’ in section 3 ‘High School Education’ of the application form.
- If you are sitting for the high school final examination and results will be available after application closing date, please select ‘I will be completing the high school final examination after application closing date’ in section 3 ‘High School Education’ of the application form.
Application closing dates apply according to your high school qualification. Unless otherwise specified, your complete application with all supporting documents must reach the Office of Admissions by the application closing date.
- ‘A’ Level (AQA, Cambridge, Edexcel, London, OCR, Oxford International AQA)
- American High School Diploma
- Australian High School
- Brunei ‘A’ Level
- Canadian High School Diploma
- Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE)
- Danish Studentereksamen (Upper Secondary Leaving Examination)
- European Baccalaureate Diploma
- French Baccalaureate Diploma
- Gao Kao or PRC National College Entrance Examination
- German Abitur
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE)/ Hong Kong ‘A’ Level
- Indian Standard 12 (Central and ISC Boards)
- Indian Standard 12 (State and other Boards)
- Indonesian Ujian Nasional (UN)
- Italian Diploma di Esame di Stato
- Mauritius High School Certificate
- New Zealand National Certificate of Education Achievement (NCEA) Level 3
- Oman Thanawiya Amma (Secondary School Leaving Certificate)
- Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM)
- Sri Lanka ‘A’ Level
- Swiss Matura/ Swiss Federal Maturity Certificate
- Taiwan Senior High School
- Turkish High School
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC)
- Vietnam National High School Graduation Examination
- Other High School Qualifications
Students, including home study students, may submit the following scores to compete for undergraduate admissions:
i. ACT with Writing and SAT Subject Tests, or
ii. SAT and SAT Subject Tests, or
iii. Advanced Placement score report
For more information, click here.
Applicants presenting accredited Diplomas obtained from a Polytechnic in Singapore should apply under Polytechnic Diplomas from Singapore in February 2018.
Students presenting the Foundation, Matriculation or Twinning qualifications with appropriate university exam results may also apply and compete for admission to NUS.
Application outcomes are released in batches. The final batch of application outcomes will be released around mid-July 2018.